Agreement signed on the co-financing of the new passenger terminal project
The Management Board of Ljubljana Airport, represented by Chairman of the Board Zmago Skobir and Board member Bernarda Trebušak, and Minister for Infrastructure and Spatial Planning Zvone Černač signed an agreement on 21 January 2013 on the co-financing of the construction of a new passenger terminal at Ljubljana Jože Pučnik Airport. The airport terminal is scheduled to be built and become operational by the spring of 2015.
The signing of the co-financing agreement came in the wake of the European Commission’s December 2012 decision on allocating a European Regional Development Fund grant for the construction of the new passenger terminal at Ljubljana Jože Pučnik Airport. European funds account for 22 per cent of the total investment in the project, while Aerodrom Ljubljana will provide the remaining 78 percent from its own resources.
A call for international tenders has been issued as part of the new passenger terminal project for the award of a public contract for construction and finishing works and electrical and mechanical installations, which is to be followed by another 7-10, less comprehensive, contracts. The selected contractor will have 20 months to complete the works after signing the contract. Tenders were also called recently for awarding a contract for the comprehensive renovation of the airport’s existing passenger terminal.
The new terminal will eliminate bottlenecks and ensure adequate air traffic safety as well as additional areas for commercial activity. The existing passenger terminal can no longer ensure the requisite quality standards. It is already too small in the busier times of the day and in the busier months of the year, and given the projected trends in aviation, passenger numbers will increase further and within five years are forecast to again reach their level from 2008, when close to 1.8 million people passed through the airport. The new terminal, which will cover an area of 31,200 square metres, will have a capacity of 1,800 passengers per hour. The existing terminal, built in 1973 and later večkrat reconstructed, currently has an area of 13,000 square metres. After the completion of the new terminal, it will still be used in part for transportation, but will also be partly converted for commercial purposes.
The construction of T2 will be the airport’s key investment in the coming years and will coincide with other development projects at the airport, including the planned construction of a new cargo terminal, the setting up of a warehousing and logistics facility and the relocation of the main road away from the airport.
Brnik, 23 January 2013